Fungal Skin Infections: Symptoms and Prevention Tips
Fungal skin infections are caused by a microscopic fungus that will proliferate when conditions are ideal. These infections affect nails, skin, and hair, as they rely on protein keratin abundant in these areas. Common examples of fungal infections include:
1) Candidacies or Yeast Infection – Caused by yeast (the type of fungus) infecting the skin or mucous membrane, living in the body in the dormant state. It is only when they get optimum conditions, do they multiply and get converted into Candidacies. Symptoms: Includes fungal skin rash, pus-filled patches, pimples, and aggravated itch on the infected area.
2) Tinea Versicolor – Also known as Pityriasis Versicolor, Dermatomycosis furfuracea and Tinea flava, is more common in adults’ and adolescents. A rather chronic fungal skin infection causes skin discolouring and occurrence of reddish and brown patches on the epidermis. Symptoms: Non-itchy rashes on the body with reddish tan coloured patches.
3) Tinea Infections or Ringworm Infection – Misinterpreted for a worm, but is a fungal infection of the skin causing a reddish ring to form.
Causes for this fungal skin infection are malnourishment, poor hygiene, and warm moist climate, and can be transmitted from an infected person. Symptoms: Itchy ring like scaly patches which later forms pus-filled blisters. If it occurs on nail they get crumpled, discoloured and thickened. If it is in the scalp, you can lose scalp hair and get bald patches.
4) Ringworm – Fungal Skin Infection is further categorised as:
- Body ringworm (Tinea Corporis) – Can occur anywhere on skin accompanied by ring-like formation on the affected area.
- Athlete’s foot (Tinea Pedis or Foot Ringworm) – A fungal skin infection affecting feet. Athlete’s foot causes the skin to get whitened between the toes with itchy rashes.
- Nail ringworm (Tinea Unguium) – Occurs on nails and finger with itchy sensation.
- Scalp ringworm (Tinea Capitis) – A contagious fungal infection of the skin occurring in the hair and scalp.
- Jock itch (Tinea Cruris or Groin Ringworm) – Occurs in the groin region followed with intense irritation and rash.
Is thorough scrubbing with soap a safeguard against ringworm? Unfortunately, the answer is no.
Harmful fungal organisms causing infections such as ringworm, jock itch, and athletes foot are becoming more and more of a health problem. These infections change the ecology of the skin. They can disrupt the delicate balance of the skin flora. When that happens, spreading the infection follows.
That’s why Defense Soap created the Defense Antifungal Medicated Bar. It’s the first soap, for combat athletes, which directly circumvents the hazards and problems associated with mat grime and skin funk that can contribute to getting fungal infections.
Preventing Fungal Skin Infection – The Defense Soap Way
A remarkable research effort that includes clinical studies by Defense Soap has paved the way for a better understanding of fungal infections of the skin. The ingredients in Defense Soap’s Antifungal Medicated Bar helps you to clean, treat, and prevent the spread of fungal skin infections.
- FDA approved Tolnaftate 1%
- Tea Tree oil – known as the natural remedy for fungal skin infections.
- Eucalyptus oil – characterised as a strong antifungal agent, thus helping in preventing fungal skin infections.
Defense Soap’s fight against fungal skin infections, here are some quick to follow, hygiene practices for preventing fungal skin infections.
- Implement and adhere to good hygiene practice – wash hands before eating, exercise regularly, take nutritional diets, bath regularly, etc.
- Foremost keep the skin dried and moisture free.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes as sweat can cause a fungal skin infection.
Defense Soap is a proven product and is endorsed for its extraordinary benefits by significant figures in combat sports. Defense Soap is used around the world by the world's best combat athletes. Though Defense Soap is not intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, treatment, or prevention of skin diseases — the essential oils found in the soap have been clinically proven to have skin healing properties.
Discover the Defense Soap range here.
Many active hobbies and jobs that result in significant sweating increase our need for electrolytes. Learn the research behind electrolytes and their importance in human health.